Managing a project can become very complicated process. And if you are new in it and manage many projects simultaneously, you can lose your track very. So to help all our fellows here I have decided to write an article about the top free project management apps and how they can become useful for the managers to organize their projects
I guarantee that all this apps I choose for you are lifesavers though you should know the basic benefits that should be in project management app and compare between them.
- The project management app should allow the manager to plan Projects on Data bases
- It should help assigning different tasks to team members and Track the Schedule and deadlines
- Must Allow Optimization of human resources to its best as well as material resources
- The app should have Alert system to recall tasks to be completed
- The app should allow Reporting and communication with Clients and Vendors as well as between team members
So here are the best free project management apps in market with pros and cons explained
- Trello is much more different from other services because it looks like app not site so you may change the size of the screen to fit your mood.
- It has the best Real time updates almost right away.
- You can see all the items on one page.
- Creating issues and assigned employee to those issues are very simple and easy.
- Easy to add new member. And you can invite new users by type in emails.
- It messes the project bar chart of gantt.
- It doesn’t have calendar.
KanbanFlow provides agile project management, budgeting and collaboration for small/medium businesses.
- Simple and easy user interface
- Comes with Pomodoro timer
- WIP limits
- Plenty of collaboration features
- Lack of a mobile app
- Doesn’t work too well on the iPad
8. Zoho project
Zoho Projects is an amazing project and task management solution which allows teams to easily colaborate on work with team members and even external teams.
- Manage projects with tasks, sub-tasks, milestones, dependencies, and more
- View tasks in a list, Gantt chart, Dependency chart, or Kanban board
- Zoho includes a classic to-do list style list of tasks, along with a Kanban board view
- Track time across all projects and create invoices
- Team chat with separate rooms for each project
- Free users will be too limited to 10MB of storage.
- It doesn’t integrate into Microsoft software like power point and excel.
I personally found GanttProject easy to use. The ability to tag tasks into a variety of projects/folders allows each person to organize their tasks in the way that best enhances their productivity and many users compared it a lot with Microsoft Project management because of the amount of features and its reporting system
- GanttProject can generate Gantt and PERT charts.
- Produce reports in HTML and PDF formats.
- Offers versatile scheduling and time management tools
- The platform allows users to quickly create a structured schedule for any project and assign tasks and milestone easily.
- Many users have found it overwhelming for newbies and the support team is quite weak.
Wrike app is an award winning software for online project management that gives managers the chance to work easier with team and assign resource effectively
- It has the best email integration and user can comment on and discuss folders and tasks within the application.
- It has desktop notification system, whenever someone leaves a comment in a task or assigns a new task
- It has file management features which powerful enough to completely replace any third-party file management app
- The great amount of feature can take time to be learned so it wrike considered to have certain learning curve before you can benefit from all features
leanKit is a task management app targeted at small businesses who already employ the kanban-style project management system
- Simple, easy to read layout
- Consistent design
- Personalized workflow rules
- Powerful task management tool
- Might not be adaptable to your type of task or project
- Hard to see personal accountability and responsibility
- Can get a bit overwhelming
- Poor Android support
Dustin Moskovitz, the co-founder of Facebook, also designed Asana. And now Asana is one of the most popular project management apps available!
- Ease of use and allow users to track the project timing and deadlines.
- Has very intuitive interface and the fact it is online makes it easier for team to track the project and all recent comments and new tasks
- Quick to learn very organized app
- Great drag-n-drop tools and has mobile app and push service
- Integration with Google Drive and Dropbox
- It has only integrations with other apps and online space storage.
- The notifications system give you distraction from so many messages
- It has long learning curve
Freedcamp is free for unlimited users and projects, unlimited projects and unlimited storage.
- Innumerable functions.
- Optimized for communication.
- It has gorgeous design.
- You can use Kanban system or normal tasks
- There are some missing features like Gantt charts, task dependencies, and recurring tasks.
Orangescrum is a simple Project management that offers the best locally-hosted, free project management software for IT teams.
- Orangescrum is completely customizable.
- OrangeScrum allows users to resolve issues through multiple workflows. This means that product development project can be handled fast.
- OrangeScrum includes project templates which cut down time spent on planning
- It helps optimize assigning tasks by allocating resources by skill set.
- It has central location be your project management system
- It Can't Manage Product Backlog
- It messes Role Based Permissions and you have to manage permission individually
Bitrix24 is a project management system entirely free for unlimited users.
- It offers Gantt charts, layered task options, time tracking and management.
- It has the best group chat system with real-time communication and instant messenger and videoconferencing,
- The free version offers 5GB of cloud storage for free
- It has the creative Employee Workload Planning tool
- The ability to make task templates that contain subtasks and checklists.
- Very difficult for small companies and takes long learning curve.